As search engines continue to change and evolve the way they rank websites, content marketing is what is making companies and people stand out. It’s about the content, really! To create great content you need to:
- Understand your goals
- Know your audience personas
- Do keyword research based on the way your audience talks about what you do, offer, or sell
In today’s digital marketing world it is about content marketing. Creating content, which can be written, video, images, polls, and the like to reach out and connect with your audiences. The more you connect with your audiences through content, the more they become engaged with your company, your services, and/or your products.
Distributing your content through your website and social media channels should be done thoughtfully and where your target audiences are. It's actually true thay not everything happens on Twitter or Facebook.
Creating the content for your content calendar
- Your calendar needs to tie in with your overall marketing plan.
- Start with looking at any peaks or seasonality in your business over 12 months.
- Content needs to be created often, consistently and created specifically for your target audiences.
- What types of questions and calls do you get often from customers or new prospects? Turn those questions into FAQs on your website and blog posts with more detail to educate your audience, then break that into small tips to post in social media. Customer service and sales staff can be great assets in this information.
- Set Google Alerts for topics related to your business (services, products, industry, etc) and look for discussions taking place – what can you share, make your own?
- Ask questions. If your audience is in tune with you socially, you should get input and feedback.
- Have some evergreen content on standby… just in case.
Evergreen content is content you can always turn to, especially in social media posts. You can have industry standards, stats, and metrics from related organizations and associations or product information to sprinkle in to more time specific posts.
These tips should get you started thinking about your content calendar and overall content strategy.
To help you out, you can download our content calendar template to help you plan your different types of content.