The MINDSCAPErs give back, delivering gifts to families in need through Family Promise of Grand Rapids
It’s the start of 2012 - the holiday charitable giving push is coming to an end. The holidays are one of the biggest times for nonprofits. More than half of their fundraising is done between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve. Have you seen the news updates? During this time of the year Goodwill receives so many of their donation totals.
Why don’t we give more during the year? Why are we compelled to give only at the end of the year? What difference could we make if we gave all year long?
This got me thinking about the ways that I have made a difference. Our team at MINDSCAPE has impacted many lives and made a huge difference - and we're not planning on stopping! Our New Year's resolution is to continue giving all through 2012.
- I am a Big Sister, and have been for five years now. My “little sister” was in 7th grade when we met. Now she’s a high school junior.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters led me to be a part of their Bowl For Kids Sale Steering Committee for the county I live in. Fundraising, sponsors and teams are in my sights now.
- Speaking and sharing knowledge with others. I’ve taught classes at Grand Rapids Opportunities for Women (GROW) about building a website, how to market your website and other things about SEO/SEM and local search.
- Our MINDSCAPE team has served dinner at Ronald McDonald House of Western Michigan. Get ten or so of us in a kitchen and it’s bound to be a good time.
- Leaders on our team are on boards and committees at local nonprofits, including Family Promise.
- We adopted more than three families for the holidays, providing gifts and necessities to families in our communities.
- Others gave to teens at St. John’s Home. Teens are are often overlooked when it comes to holiday gifts - toys are easier to give to little kids. Just showing that you’re thinking of them can make a huge difference in their lives.
- Charging “admission.” We have classes and groups who visit our company and want to hear from our leaders about running a business, how to get into business and work for a company like ours. We’re happy to share our knowledge, and we ask for donations off of a selected nonprofits wish list as the price of admission.
- Collected money for a team member in need. We had a teammate fall on hard times unexpectedly and were able to help them get back on their feet.
- Pass it Forward, A Day of Giving with GRCC. Several folks on our team were a part of this day with GRCC staff and students where we spent a cold, snowy Saturday going around Grand Rapids to do good deeds: give out hugs, hot coffee, help out at organizations, buy lunch and pass it forward.
These are a few of the ways that my family, my team at MINDSCAPE and I have given back to our communities in 2011. Some ways are financial, others are by giving our time and sharing our knowledge with others who can benefit from our experience. Bottom line is, we all have something to give, every day of the year. What are your plans to make a difference in 2012?